After completing his vocational training in tax and business consulting Wolfgang Oepen graduated as Diplom-Betriebswirt (FH) (Business Degree with majors in Finance, Tax and Auditing) from the University of Applied Sciences Mainz.
Wolfgang Oepen started his career 1985 in an international auditing company and soon assumed leadership positions in 1989 as Head of Finance and Accounting and 1991 as well as a Controller for shareholdings of a PLC including responsibility for more than 200 full time employees.
Wolfgang Oepen has worked since 1992 as a commercial property developer in the property industry. He qualified in 1996 and 1997 as "Immobilienökonom (ebs)" (Post Graduate Degree in Real Estate) and Certified Shopping Center Manager (Deutschland) from the Immobilienakademie at the European Business School.
2011/2012 Wolfgang Oepen was enrolled in the Executive Master of Business Administration Real Estate at the IRE|BS, International Real Estate Business School at the Business Faculty of the University of Regensburg. The Executive Master of Business Administration Real Estate includes studies abroad at the universities of Harvard (USA), Reading (GB), Hong Kong and Shanghai.
Since 1997 Wolfgang Oepen has been the owner of the property consulting firm "Urban City Consultants" focussing on:
- Market and location analyses
- Analyses and development of land use concepts
- Property development and project management
(Investment volume approx. 10 million Euro)
- Revitalisation of properties
- Location and property marketing
Clients of Urban City Consultants are property companies, institutional and private investors, banks, cities and communities. As founder and owner of Urban City Consultants Wolfgang Oepen is strongly focussing on marketing, communication and public relations and is an experienced negotiator. Wolfgang Oepen has built up an extensive network of contacts to companies of various industries and real estate professionals including among others the following associations and organisations:
IMMOEBS e.V., Alumni Organisation of the Post Graduate Real Estate courses at the European Business School and the University of Regensburg.
Gif-Gesellschaft für immobilienwirtschaftliche Forschung e.V. (German Society of Real Estate Research),
Vereinigung Liberaler Mittelstand Rheinland-Pfalz e.V. (Association of Liberal Medium-Sized Companies Rhineland Palatinate, Founder and Member of the Board).
Wolfgang Oepen published several articles in research publications on Real Estate topics such as for example:
- Immobilien-Marketing als Teil der Stadtkonzeption (Real Estate Marketing as part of urban development), together with Prof. Ursula Funke) published in Handbuch „Immobilien-Marketing“ (Handbook Real Estate Marketing), Editor: Prof. Dr. Karl-Werner Schulte and Dr. Kerstin Brade.
- Facilities Management als Bestandteil des Immobilienmarketings, (Facilities Management as part of Real Estate Marketing) published in Handbuchs „Facilities Management“ (Handbook Facilities Management), Editor: Prof. Dr. Karl-Werner Schulte und Barbara Pierschke.
Wolfgang Oepen was co-initiator of City Management in Mainz and assumed already in 1997 the planning and organisation of a Symposium on this topic under the patronage of the major of the City of Mainz. He participated in the development of an urban development model for Mainz within the working group Business and accompanied the foundation process of Mainz-City-Management e.V.